Secondary Mass Orchestra Day
Following the successful Solihull school’s Mass Orchestra Project (OSoSicII) in 2018, we are hosting an orchestral day for all our secondary schools on Friday 15th February 2019 at Bushell Hall, Solihull School.
Our aims are:
- To provide secondary pupils with the opportunity to play in a large orchestra.
- For pupils to desk share with a wide range of students to support collaboration and encourage them to continue playing at secondary school.
- To continue to build a musical community with all our secondary schools, to make sure that music stays alive and relevant in schools
Repertoire for the day will be distributed by your child’s school and in partnership with Solihull Music Service, we will support pupils learning of the pieces as part of their weekly instrumental lessons.
These are the pieces selected so far for the day:
- In the Hall of the Mountain King
|BBC Ten Pieces – Edvard Grieg – In the Hall of the Mountain King from ‘Peer Gynt’
Grieg’s music drew on the Norwegian folk tunes of his homeland. He wrote many songs and piano miniatures. He was a leading composer of the Romantic era and brought the music of Norway to an …
- A short Ride in a Fast Machine
- Haydn Trumpet Concerto 3rd Mov.
4 The Firebird
If you are willing for your son/daughter to take part, please will you complete and sign the attached consent form and return to your child’s school by November 9th 2018.
On the day, pupils will need to arrive by 10.00am. Schools will either use their own mini bus or pupils will be expected to make their own way to the venue. They will rehearse pieces chosen for this orchestral project, led by conductor Dan Watson, with support from Solihull Music Staff, from 10.30am until 4.00pm. At 4.30pm there will be short performance to School leaders and parents which will finish by 5.00pm.
Primary/Junior School Mass Orchestra
Following the secondary Solihull school’s Mass Orchestra Project in 2018, we are looking to repeat the experience for instrumentalist in our Primary and Junior schools on 28th June 2019. We are proud to announce the event will take place at the Warwick Arts Centre, Butterworth Hall. We are asking each Junior/Primary school to provide 3 instrumentalists in the first instance.
Our aims are:
- To provide primary pupils with the opportunity to play in a large orchestra.
- For pupils to desk share with secondary students to aid transition and encourage them to continue playing at secondary school.
- To continue to build a musical community within all our areas, to make sure that music stays alive and relevant in schools
This took place at the Warwick Arts Centre in February 2018.
Vidio available from www.247.tv/sms